Killed for Being Black


A native of Atlanta, GA, Sparkle Michelle Rai (seen-r), was a 22 year old wife and mother who was murdered in cold blood for one reason only; she was African American.

In 1998, Sparkle met general manager Ricky Rai, son of 68 year old Indian businessman, Chiman Rai. Sparkle interviewed for a position within the Rais' business, and Ricky Rai hired Sparkle as a clerk at his father's hotel in Louisville, Kentucky. 


Ricky and Sparkle began dating in October of 1998, and 2 months later Sparkle became pregnant with their daughter, Analla. The couple were married soon thereafter but the relationship ended on April 29, 2000, when Sparkle Michelle Rai was killed in her Union City apartment. Their 7 month old baby was found laying beside her dead mother unharmed. 


Sixty-eight year old Chiman Rai, was convicted and found guilty of paying 10 thousand dollars to a hit man to carry out the killing of his daughter-in-law.

According to Chiman Rai (seen-r), he felt that having a Black daughter-in-law would bring down the family stock value. 

Sparkle was strangled with a vacuum cord and stabbed more then 12 times; she was murdered just weeks after tying the knot with his Rais' son.

It's been a battle but in 2004 after years of an unsolved case, 2 witnesses came forward to help convict Chiman Rai. The 2 witnesses were Willie Fred Evans and Herbert Green, who both pleaded guilty for lesser charges. The men admitted to passing money to the Clark brothers who then ultimately carried out the murder. The Clark brothers are facing the death sentence along with Chiman Rai.

Rais' ex-cell mate testified that while sharing a cell with Mr. Rai, he would often call Black people the scum of the earth. The ex-cell mate stated in Mr. Rai's words, "If I had a lot of money I would kill all Black people."

After his wife's murder Ricky Rai admitted to police that his father was "a little racist."

Ricky Rai remarried, and to an Indian woman as his dad always wanted him to, while Sparkle Rais' parent's are raising their daughter, Analla.

Who's to say this will stop his son from marrying another Black woman? What is Mr. Rai going to do keep killing his sons' wives?

On a side note: Why isn't Ricky Rai raising his daughter? What kind of relationship did he have with the mother and child, to not want custody of his own daughter?

The victim's parent's may feel uncomfortable with the husband's family around the baby, but Ricky Rai had full custody of his daughter with his wife; did he not fight for her?

Analla Rai is now 8 years old, and living with her mother's parent's.

2008 LA



Comments

  1. Even within the Indian community racism exists. Indians are not one people...the include various ethnic groups. People who have the last name Rai are generally fairer complexion Indians. So had she been a darker skinned Indian woman from a different "caste" the father still would not have been satisfied.

    It is so said that people of any group can harbor such hatred in their heart simply because one is of a different ethnic background.

    And it is doubly said that the daughter is not being raised by her father. What is that all about? It is as if any presence of Sparkle was completely erased from his life. I guess its not fair to judge...but come on....

    ReplyDelete
  2. "He didn't even want 2 fight 4 her?"

    This bugger Rajeev Rai is a dickless coward and liar.
    1.He told Sparkle b4 marriage that his parents are dead.

    2.After marriage he didnt take her to meet them.

    3.No emotion noted after murder. He coolly carried on.

    4.He remmaried an Indian girl--and did NOT tell her or her family of his tragic past or Anallas existence.

    5.Neither he nor his family ever visited Analla.

    So, like father like son.

    * I hope Chiman Rai gets lifer, not death. I would love to hear him being strangled by the many blacks in US jails--once they hear how much he loves black;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's crazy I am a Mixed girl (African/European/Native) and I have been with an Indian man for 5 years, the last 3 on the rocks after the birth of our son. His family doesn't know about us and he's so secretive but at the same time overly jealous and protective of me. I'm to the point of wanting to just leave this situation...he says that his family will never understand and that his father will be ridiculed in the community. It's hard for me to understand where he's coming from because of the racial tensions that existed in my past. My parents fought to be together and my father was ultimately killed because of it. So I can't understand his predicament. The thing thats not fair though is that he has told me we can never marry because i won't be accepted but now he's saying he doesn't t me with someone else. I should just go into hiding because either way doesn't seem like it will work out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 Anonymous mixed girl (African/European/Native): Thanks 4 your comment, but you're in a serious situation. I feel you should make all people in your family aware of these issues in case they don't know, so if anything happens (God forbid), someone will know what's been going on. Maybe you should get a lawyer and work on a divorce, as you read in this article, certain Indians are not very friendly. I wish you much luck, happiness, good health and safety.

    Stay close.....
    LA
    www.hoodtalks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello I know Analla she is my bff and we used 2 go 2 a philip randolph together but she HATES it when ppl tlk about her mom or family so dont tlk about it and i know her mom shes donna lowry reid on the news and she comes to school meetings, i am also 11 i think shes older than me though by 1 year

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello honey. Thank you for stopping by. I can understand that Analla wouldn't like people talking about her family; this must be rough for her to understand since she was so young. And you are a really good friend to protect her like this. This is the only article I've written on this matter and will not write anymore like it out of respect for Analla Rai. Thank you again for stopping by and leaving a comment. Stay a good friend to her. Peace and Love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am an African American female married to a Pakistani man. We have three amazing children, yet I'm not allowed to step foot in the home of my in laws. I have been with my husband for 15 years and my father in law has gone out of his way to make my life miserable. I understand Anallas feelings some situations are to painful to discuss however, I think it's important that we discuss this issue to prevent it from happening again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anonymous, thank you for taking the time to give your feedback as it is extremely important to have these discussions -- even when it hurts. God bless you for finding love, and it saddens me to hear your in-laws treat you this way. Prejudice is such a horrible disease that resides in many countries. I wish people could have more compassion and love in their hearts for one another, especially in these difficult times. Don't be a stranger...

      Delete
    2. I am also an african american female and I am about to get married to my fiance who is bengali (bangladeshi) we have a 5 month old daughter and his parents are very similar to the Rai's. I am not allowed into their home. They hate the fact that we are together and they have disowned him as a son because of our daughter. I have never met these people, they do not know me nor have they seen our child but they were quick judge me and my family and say all sorts of hateful things. My fiance has been fighting to get them to accept us. My family knows about his parents and my mother was the one to tell me about Sparkle's tragedy. She knew our love would have problems when it came to his family. My fiance decided to let his family go if they cant get over their racism. I should be happy he has left everything for me but I have been overwhelmed with this feeling of guilt, because his family meant everything to him. It is very stressful & I cant seem to find peace knowing that Im hated by people who have never even seen my face.

      Delete
  8. Hi Simone. Thanks for stopping by. I feel for your situation, as I do anyone who's been wrongfully judged. I had a similar situation with my family not being as accepting of my spouse as well. But I never let go of my spouse because of love, and because I knew in my heart that my family was wrong. I understand your guilt, that is natural because you are a caring person. Maybe one day your fiance's family will come around. But if not, you can't get caught up in guilt because of your love. It's just that simple. Their racist views are not your issues, and they must deal with that on their own. Stay strong Simone and above all, be cautious. Peace and blessings to you and your family. LA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

THANKS FOR FEEDBACK!