Why Are Native American Indians A Hidden People?

Have you ever wondered where are the Native Americans, with whom society speaks of as if they no longer exist? 

When we talk about the original founders of American soil, we often reference the Indigenous people. When we break bread for the much celebrated holiday Thanksgiving, we reference them as the day's history lesson. And many African American women are known to boast that "I have Indian in my family", as a reason for having select features and hair textures, again referencing Native Americans as the originators. 

But outside of this narrow-minded vision that one has of Native Americans, the question for me has ALWAYS been "Where in-the-hell are they?!"

In my travels across the United States of America from East to West, West to East, and East to West again, I've discovered "real" Native Americans in the rural areas of New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada

I only say "real" Native Americans because in the inner cities of industrialized states, there's a scarcity of Native Indians. You immediately notice the difference because if you've ever walked into a "real" Native American Indian store, the products are distinctly of another culture not seen in mainstream America. 

Big feathers, shiny silver, items made of suede, and turquoise colored stones adorn just about all displayed jewelry, as if it were the traditional tribal stone of past generations.

As I approached the Native American cashier after gazing over the eccentric items not normal to me, and asked whatever question I had while trying to gaze into the eyes of what I deemed to be a "hidden treasure" -- always heard of but never before seen; I received politeness but never a look back, never a look in the eyes. 

I'd eventually travel to more "real" Native American stores on my journey's and like before, I never received a look in the eye. I still wonder to this day if that's a way of culture, or a way of protecting oneself? 

Because I don't live and have never lived in areas where "real" Native Americans reside, after my journey's were over I knew I'd never see another Native Indian again for a while. This thought, however, disturbed me because in my everyday life I see Hispanics, African Americans, Asians, West Indians, Whites, Africans etc., but no Native American Indians. 

My last time seeing a "real" Native American (not in person) was during a fight against the GOP over VAWA (Violence Against Women Act), in which Native American women represented their tribes by adamantly pushing to sustain this much needed law, due to the many rape and abuse occurrences in their villages. 

Never once had I heard that Native American women were being raped at an alarming rate, but when I discovered the 2011 statistics of Native American single mothers concentrated specifically in five states, it made me question if any of these "rapes" were a direct result? 

Native American Single Mother Statistics show: Arizona 66%, New Mexico 62%, Vermont 100%, Alaska 50%, Oklahoma 40%. Why are Native American single mothers, highly concentrated in these 5 states alone? Is it because these are the top 5 states where Native Americans reside, and are the father's just not around as much?

The plights of Native American women and Native Indians in general are real, but it's almost like a "out of sight out of mind" mentality because mainstream America, nestles miles and miles away from Indian reservations. 

And even so, other minority groups' issues within American society are frequently ignored as well, which is the reason for such protests lately. So imagine Native American Indians trying to have their issues heard, while inner city minority groups are loudly fighting for their rights as well. Some folks are bound to be drowned out by all the noise, right? 
Moreover most recently, Native American journalists have been speaking out loud about the atrocities that have stricken their communities. Surprisingly, their complaints seem to mirror the same complaints of African Americans as well as other minority groups currently protesting for civil rights and justice. 

All this time I thought Native American Indians were receiving due justice as a result of their land being stolen, but it couldn't be further from the truth. Apparently, their hellish situations still exist, but it's only now that their voices have begun to crack the walls of racial divide while shaking up the conscience of mainstream America.

Wow, just like the saying goes "the first shall be last, and the last shall be first."

2013 LA

Comments